Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:President Joe Biden to attend dignified transfer for US troops killed in Jordan, who ‘risked it all’ -Capitatum
Fastexy:President Joe Biden to attend dignified transfer for US troops killed in Jordan, who ‘risked it all’
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 20:22:12
WILMINGTON,Fastexy Del. (AP) — President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden will join grieving families at Dover Air Force Base on Friday to honor three American servicemembers killed in a drone attack in Jordan, a solemn ritual that has become relatively uncommon in recent years as the U.S. withdrew from conflicts abroad.
The Bidens will attend a “dignified transfer” as the remains of the troops killed in the overnight assault Sunday return to U.S. soil. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin will join the Bidens for the transfer in Dover, where such events take place when U.S. servicemembers are killed in action.
The service members killed Sunday were all from Georgia — Sgt. William Jerome Rivers of Carrollton, Sgt. Kennedy Sanders of Waycross and Sgt. Breonna Moffett of Savannah. Sanders and Moffett were posthumously promoted to sergeant rank.
The deaths were the first U.S. fatalities blamed on Iran-backed militia groups, who for months have been intensifying their attacks on American forces in the region following the onset of the Israel-Hamas war in October. Separately, two Navy SEALs died during a January mission to board an unflagged ship that was carrying illicit Iranian-made weapons to Yemen.
“These service members embodied the very best of our nation: Unwavering in their bravery. Unflinching in their duty. Unbending in their commitment to our country — risking their own safety for the safety of their fellow Americans, and our allies and partners with whom we stand in the fight against terrorism,” Biden said earlier this week. “It is a fight we will not cease.”
At Thursday’s National Prayer Breakfast at the Capitol, Biden acknowledged Rivers, Moffett and Sanders by name, again vowing to never forget their sacrifice to the nation.
“They risked it all,” the president said.
Rivers, Sanders and Moffett hailed from different corners of Georgia but were brought together in the same company of Army engineers that was based in Fort Moore. Sanders and Moffett, in particular, were close friends who regularly popped in on each other’s phone calls with their families back home.
Moffett had turned 23 years old just nine days before she was killed. She had joined the Army Reserves in 2019, but also worked for a home care provider to cook, clean and run errands for people with disabilities.
Sanders, 24, worked at a pharmacy while studying to become an X-ray technician and coached children’s soccer and basketball. She had volunteered for the deployment because she wanted to see different parts of the world, according to her parents.
Rivers, who was 46 years old and went by Jerome, joined the Army Reserve in New Jersey in 2011 and served a nine-month tour in Iraq in 2018.
Biden will not speak during the dignified transfer, a mournful ritual that, in recent years, has become increasingly uncommon as the U.S. withdrew from conflicts abroad, most notably the war in Afghanistan where U.S. involvement lasted two decades.
According to the most recent statistics available from the Defense Department, no servicemembers were killed as a result of hostile action in 2022. Thirteen servicemembers were killed as a result of hostile action the year prior during the fall of Kabul in Afghanistan, when a suicide bomber at the airport’s Abbey Gate killed 11 Marines, one sailor and one soldier. Nine service members were killed as a result of hostile action in 2020.
Friday will be the second dignified transfer Biden attends as president. In August 2021, he took part in the ritual for the 13 servicemembers killed during the suicide bombing in Kabul. As vice president, Biden in 2016 attended a dignified transfer for two U.S. soldiers killed in a suicide blast at Bagram Airfield. He also attended one as a senator in 2008 after the family requested his presence and the Pentagon gave him permission to do so.
The U.S. government said this week that the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of Iran-backed militias that includes the group Kataib Hezbollah, had planned, resourced and facilitated the overnight drone attack. While Biden and White House officials have stressed that they don’t want a broader war with Iran, the administration has also warned that its response to the deadly assault won’t be a “one-off.”
More than 40 troops were also injured in the Sunday drone attack at Tower 22, a secretive U.S. military desert outpost whose location allows U.S. forces to infiltrate and quietly leave Syria.
__
Associated Press writer Tara Copp contributed to this report.
veryGood! (2116)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Revised report on Maryland church sex abuse leaves 5 church leaders’ names still redacted
- Brooks Robinson, Orioles third baseman with 16 Gold Gloves, has died. He was 86
- Kim Zolciak Files to Dismiss Kroy Biermann Divorce for a Second Time Over NSFW Reason
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- With Tiger Woods as his caddie, Charlie Woods sinks putt to win Notah Begay golf event
- 5 workers picketing in UAW strike hit by vehicle outside Flint-area plant
- Bachelor Nation's Becca Kufrin and Thomas Jacobs Share Baby Boy's Name and First Photo
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 5 family members, friend dead in crash between train, SUV in Florida: Here's who they were
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- O'Reilly Auto Parts worker charged in strangulation death of suspected shoplifter
- See Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet’s Paris Fashion Week Date Night
- New iOS 17 features include 'NameDrop' AirDrop tool allowing users to swap info easily
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Cost of building a super-size Alabama prison rises to more than $1 billion
- The dystopian suspense 'Land of Milk and Honey' satisfies all manner of appetites
- Moscow court upholds 19-year prison sentence for Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
New book alleges Trump’s ex-chief of staff’s suits smelled ‘like a bonfire’ from burning papers
Police are investigating if unprescribed drugs factored into death of ex-NFL player Mike Williams
Hunter Biden sues Rudy Giuliani and another lawyer over accessing and sharing of his personal data
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
In Sweden, 2 explosions rip through dwellings and at least 1 is reportedly connected to a gang feud
US sanctions 9 tied to Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel and leader of Colombia’s Clan del Golfo
Blac Chyna Debuts Romance With Songwriter Derrick Milano